KP Mental Health Act 2017
What is the Act About?
The Act is about the establishment of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Mental Health Authority in the Province of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and for the treatment, care, management of properties and affairs of the mentally disordered persons and their families and for connected matters
Composition of KP Mental Health Authority:
Chairperson: Secretary Health
Representation from the following none being below the rank of an additional secretary:
- Home and Tribal Affairs Department
- Law, Parliamentary Affairs Department
- Social Welfare and Women Empowerment Department
- Three eminent psychiatrists including two from the public and one from private sector
- Three representatives from civil society
- Director General Health Services as member-cum-secretary of the authority
Functions of KP Mental Health Authority
1. Development of Provincial Standards:
Develop and establish new Provincial Standards for care and treatment of patients
- Recommend measures to improve existing mental health services and setting up of child and adolescence, substance abuse or drug dependence, psychogeriatric, forensic, learning disability and community based service
- Prescribe procedures with respect to setting up and functioning of the mental health services and facilities in the Province
- To ensure that the provisions of this Act for assessment and treatment are being properly carried out
- Provide for and regulate the setting up of help lines and crisis center’s for the general public with regard to mental health
- Establishment of Psychiatric Facilities by Government
- Government may, in any part of the Province, can establish or maintain psychiatric facilities for the assessment, admission, treatment, rehabilitation, care and after care of the patients at such places, as it deems fit.
2. Establishment of Psychiatric Facilities
The psychiatric Facilities established under this act may organize or maintain in separate units (male and female) for;
- Persons who are above the age of eighteen years;
- Child and adolescence psychiatric units;
- Psychogeriatric units for the elderly
- Persons who have been convicted of any offence and are mentally disordered for whom special security measures shall be required.
3. Establishment of Drug Dependence Units
Establish separate, male and female drug dependence units. These units may be within the psychiatric facility for people who are not patients, but have drug dependence or with drug induced behavioural changes.
4. Provision of Community Based Mental Health Services
Community based mental health services shall be set up for providing mentally disordered persons and their families and others involved in their care with guidance, education, rehabilitation, after care and preventive measures and other support services on an informal basis.
5. Awareness Program:
Organise and regulate public awareness programs
- Promote research, publish journals, bulletins, magazines and other educational material on mental health issues
- Arrange and organise such courses and training programs as may be necessary for carrying out the purposes and objects of the authority.
- Provide for and regulate the setting up of help lines and crisis centres for the general public with regard to mental health.
- Psycho-trauma Centre at the Psychiatry Department of Lady Reading Hospital.
- Help line 0800-77666 (8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday to Saturday).