Banking Ombuds Scheme
In Pakistan, at present, there are five Federal Ombudsmen/person, i.e.
- Wafaqi Mohtasib
- Federal Tax Ombudsman
- Federal Insurance Ombudsman
- Federal Ombudsperson for Women (Federal Ombudsperson for protection against Harassment of Women at Workplace)
- Banking Mohtasib
Banking Ombudsperson (Mohtasib)
1. Aim of Establishing Banking Ombudsperson (Mohtasib) Office:
“To resolve all disputes amicably through an informal and friendly process of reconciliation rather than a formal adversarial procedure”.
2. 82A-3: Jurisdiction of Banking Ombudsperson (Mohtasib) Office:
The jurisdiction of the Banking Mohtasib in relation to banking transactions shall be to:
- Enquire into complaints of banking malpractices;
- Perverse, arbitrary or discriminatory actions;
- Violations of banking laws, rules, regulations or guidelines;
- Inordinate delays or inefficiency and,
- Corruption, nepotism or other forms or maladministration.
3. 82B-4: Powers and Responsibility of Banking Ombudsperson (Mohtasib) Office:
- To entertain complaints from customers, borrowers, banks or from any concerned body or organization;
- To facilitate the amicable resolution of complaints after giving hearings to the complainant and the concerned bank;
- To receive evidence on affidavit;
- To issue commission for the examination of witnesses; and
- In the event that complaints cannot be resolved by consent, to give findings which shall be acted upon in the manner set out herein.
4. Complaint Procedure:
- Step One
Approach your bank in writing to resolve your complaint stating in the letter that you intend to refer the grievance to the Banking Mohtasib if matter is not resolved to your satisfaction. The bank is allowed a maximum of 45 days to resolve your complaint.
- Step Two
If you do not receive a reply from the bank within 45 days, or find the reply unsatisfactory, you may file a complaint with the Banking Mohtasib on the prescribed complaint form.
- Step Three
The complaint form duly completed, signed and attested by an Oath Commissioner should be attached to your letter of complaint addressed to the Banking Mohtasib and sent to:
Banking Mohtasib Pakistan
5th floor, M R Kiyani Road
Please make sure that all related correspondence with the bank and copies of all relevant documents are also sent to the Banking Mohtasib with an attested Photostat copy of your CNIC duly marked for submission to Banking Mohtasib Pakistan. Please do not send any original documents.
Types of Complaints Entertained by Banking Ombudsperson (Mohtasib):
- Complaints can be filed with the Banking Mohtasib for resolution of grievances against scheduled banks operating in Pakistan. Also banks may lodge complaints against another bank in case of dispute.
- All complaints rejected by banks can be entertained by the Banking Mohtasib provided records pertaining thereto have not been destroyed by the bank in accordance with its laid down record destruction policies.
- Should you wish to refer rejected complaints to Banking Mohtasib, you may send banking Mohtasib all related correspondence along with the Complaint Form without the need to give 45 days’ notice to the concerned bank.
- The Banking Mohtasib handles complaints relating to violation of banking laws and regulations, excessive delays and inefficiency, poor service, discriminatory actions, etc.
The Banking Mohtasib will not accept complaints pertaining to bank policy e.g. published schedule of charges, loan policies etc. For instance, the Banking Mohtasib cannot order a bank to sanction a loan or waive and reduce mark up on loans.
Peshawar Regional Office
Office of the Banking Mohtasib Pakistan
Banking Mohtasib Pakistan Secretariat